Perfect for helping students understand nutrition and healthy eating habits, this unit makes the learning interactive and hands-on to keep students engaged. It includes foldable activities and the picture task analyses and tools to help them be successful in using them. Students practice the Healthy Plate with cut and paste worksheets. They'll be introduced to basic information on food groups and serving sizes through mini-books. The mix of materials allows students to practice the skills in different ways.
The foldables are designed to be used as free-standing materials or part of interactive notebooks. I’ve included picture task analyses of how to assemble them for the students to use and templates with pictures for non-writers to use to complete the activities.
The mini-books and foldables are provided in color as well as black and white depending on whether you wish the students to color them on their own or have a color copy and to provide the teacher with a model to show the students without having to create your own.
6 File Folders Included
- Healthy Foods or Treats (Clip Art of Foods)
- Healthy Foods or Treats (Photos of Food)
- Bakery or Produce items (Clip art)
- Meat or Fruit items (Clip art)
- Food from an Animal or a Plant (clip art or photos of food)
- Sort by 5 Food Groups (photos)
10 Sorting Cut-and-Paste Worksheets
- 5 healthy or treat
- 5 food from an animal or plant
15 Cut-and-Paste Worksheets Using My Plate graphics to sort by food group
- 5 Breakfast plate
- 5 Lunch plate
- 5 Dinner plate
14 Mini Books—color and black and white versions
- 1 Mini Book with tips for Healthy Eating
- 7 Mini Books for Recommended Daily Servings for Different Ages and Gender
- 6 Mini Books Introducing How Much is a Cup or Ounce of Each Category of Food (vegetables, fruit, dairy, grains, protein, oils).
Interactive Foldables with templates and picture task analyses for assembling
- A double flip flap book with 2 templates that can be used as the bottom sheet—one that is plain boxes and one that has boxes for placing food pictures (also included).
- A double flip flap book for identifying recommended daily amounts of each food group. Students write in (under the flap) the recommended servings for each category. For students who cannot write in the servings independently, there is a guided sheet that can be used as the bottom layer in which students just write in how many cups or ounces of each category.
- A flip flap book for grouping foods that belong in each food group. For students who cannot write in the servings independently, there is a guided sheet that can be used as the bottom layer in which students glue pictures (included) of food for each category.
- 2 Versions of a Layered Flip Book designed to have students sort foods by food group. There are 2 versions. One with color outlines and one in black and white the students can color. Students can write in the foods for different groups or can use the supplied pictures to cut and paste them onto the proper page.
This product is copyrighted to Christine Reeve for use in one classroom. They may not be copied for additional classes without purchasing extra licenses. For bulk discounts, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
No Product Will Be Mailed to You. You will need to print and create the product yourself.
This product is an electronic file download Adobe Acrobat file or a Zip File. No product will be mailed to you. You are responsible for assuring you have the needed software to open and print it.
Directions for construction are included in the file. Make sure you are opening it with Adobe Acrobat Reader (find it free here) and following the printing instructions included in the download.
If the product is a zip file, you may need to have an app like WinZip to unzip it on a PC.
This product is copyrighted by Christine Reeve for use in one classroom. They may not be copied for additional classes without purchasing extra licenses. For bulk discounts, please email me at email@example.com