My students have always loved these interactive books because they are able to participate in the reading of them to the class by matching the picture or the filling in the word to the sentence based on the text. They help build confidence in their reading skills. And they allow students with all different levels of skills to participate in reading about the Thanksgiving traditions the books describe.
Meanwhile, they are also building their functional vocabulary and reading skills and don't even know it! Plus the interactive nature of matching the pictures and/or the word as the book is read keeps them engaged in the text. I use them for morning meeting as well as small reading groups. Once students can read them and match on their own, I can even put them in independent work. Love resources that have multiple uses!
Who Are They For?
These books are great for students of any age working on basic vocabulary and either matching or reading skills. They are perfect for morning meeting or circle time, story time, and small group or 1-1 instruction on reading skills. They are written at approximately a first to second grade level and include matching pictures and words to complete the sentences based on the pictures on the page. I've used them all ages from preschool through life skills high school classes.
5 Interactive Books
- The First Thanksgiving—Illustrated book focusing on nouns related to Pilgrims and Native Americans at the first Thanksgiving
- How Did the Settlers Live?--Illustrated book focusing on comparing how settlers lived vs. present day. Great for compare/contrast and functions of common nouns.
- Thanksgiving Celebrations—Illustrated book on common activities of Thanksgiving Day focusing on common nouns (e.g., TV to watch the parade)
- Thanksgiving Dinner at Jamie’s—Illustrated book on nouns related to foods for Thanksgiving dinner
- Thanksgiving Jobs—Illustrated book with verbs related to preparing Thanksgiving dinner
Includes visuals to choose the books for choice boards from my morning meeting starter kits.
Preschool*Elementary Morning Meeting Starter Kit and Middle and High School Morning Meeting Starter Kit
(Check the pictures for lists of vocabulary)
- The books have the option to find the matching or corresponding picture or the word to complete the sentence.
- The picture cards can be stored on an extension page that have matching pictures. There are 2 options—one has matching pictures and the other is a blank page with no pictures so you can rearrange them.
- You could also switch out so that the student is matching clip art to photos or vice versa by switching which matching pictures are with the book.
No Product Will Be Mailed to You. You will need to print and create the product yourself.
This product is an electronic file download Adobe Acrobat file or a Zip File. No product will be mailed to you. You are responsible for assuring you have the needed software to open and print it.
Directions for construction are included in the file. Make sure you are opening it with Adobe Acrobat Reader (find it free here) and following the printing instructions included in the download.
If the product is a zip file, you may need to have an app like WinZip to unzip it on a PC.
This product is copyrighted by Christine Reeve for use in one classroom. They may not be copied for additional classes without purchasing extra licenses. For bulk discounts, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org